STUDENT SERVICES ASSISTANT
Part Time (10-25 hours per week)
Location: Vancouver and/or South Surrey
Shifts Available (subject to change):
Vancouver: Monday, Wednesday, and Sunday Evening
South Surrey: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday Evening
About Arts Umbrella
Arts Umbrella is where young artists ages 2–22 cultivate their creativity in Dance, Theatre, and Visual Arts. As a non-profit organization for arts education, we believe that art is powerful. Powerful enough to change kids’ lives in incredible ways. When young people connect with the arts, they gain self-confidence, develop self-discipline, and discover creative expression—things they carry with them for life. Arts Umbrella has four locations in Vancouver and Surrey, as well as donor-funded programs at schools, community centres, neighbourhood houses, and healthcare facilities across Metro Vancouver. We reach close to 21,000 students every year, with nearly 80% participating at little to no cost.
Now celebrating over 41 years, Arts Umbrella has made the exciting move into the South Building of the former Emily Carr University of Art + Design on Granville Island in April 2021. This exceptional opportunity will allow Arts Umbrella to further our vision for a better world where all young lives are inspired to pursue a lifelong journey towards self-expression, compassion, and humanity. It is our mission to be Canada’s leader in arts education for young people; to build community and deliver profound life experiences through our commitment to innovation, excellence, and inclusivity. Arts Umbrella is an organization full of heart, where self-expression and creativity are valued and nurtured.
Diversity & Inclusion
Arts Umbrella is dedicated to promoting diversity and inclusion. Our commitment is reflected in our programming, the audience we engage with, the students we serve as well as the staff we employ. Diversity and inclusion in our organization means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated and respected. We actively seek applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others with knowledge in diversity and inclusion to help us strengthen our commitment.
Reporting to the Director, Enrolment and Student Services, the Assistant is the front-line response for our parents and students for registration and general inquiries. The Student Services Assistant is the go-to for questions from internal and external stakeholders and develops an in-depth understanding of the inner workings of Arts Umbrella as an organization. They provide a public face for the organization to visitors of the Granville Island or South Surrey facility.
The position is responsible for the following:
- Providing exceptional customer service to families, internal staff, and external contacts through timely communication, registration assistance, and providing support for the diverse needs of all students
- Maintaining current knowledge of Arts Umbrella’s programs including class schedules, course content, instructors, and seasonal events
- Performing ActiveNet data entry and maintaining up-to-date knowledge in the use of ActiveNet for clients, instructors and administration
- Maintaining up to date knowledge about Arts Umbrella to be able to direct inquiries to the appropriate department/stakeholder
- Opening and closing the facility
- Administering first aid in accordance with established procedures and first aid training (training provided by Arts Umbrella)
- Supports other departments with administrative tasks on an ad hoc basis
Here is what you bring:
Our ideal candidate takes pride and joy in providing exceptional service across the organization. This person would have a background in the arts – even if simply as a student – and is enthusiastic about the benefits of arts education for young people. In addition, our ideal candidate would have the following competencies:
- Some post-secondary education preferred
- 1-3 years’ experience in customer service
- Demonstrated interest in the arts
- Experience thoughtfully interacting and engaging with a diverse population through written and oral communication, and especially telephone and in-person communication
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Confidence in executing first aid response (training provided)
- Fluency in written and spoken Mandarin is an asset, but not required
How to apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating STUDENT SERVICES ASSISTANT in the subject line. Your cover letter should complement your resume by briefly describing how you fulfill the competencies listed above. Please indicate which locations and which shifts you are available for. We will review resumes as they arrive and schedule interviews when appropriate.
Applied before? Apply again! Student Services has new openings throughout the year and an application that was not the right fit before might be perfect now.
Arts Umbrella thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About Arts Umbrella
Arts Umbrella is where young artists ages 2–22 cultivate their creativity in Dance, Theatre, and Art & Design. As a non-profit centre for arts education, we believe that art is powerful. Powerful enough to change kids’ lives in incredible ways. When young people connect with the arts, they gain self-confidence, develop self-discipline, and discover creative expression—qualities they carry with them for life. Arts Umbrella has four locations in Vancouver and Surrey, as well as donor-funded programs at schools, community centres, neighbourhood houses, and healthcare facilities across Metro Vancouver. We reach more than 24,000 students every year, with nearly 80% participating at little to no cost.